Many Indigenous peoples in Canada continue to face barriers that affect their ability to participate fully in the programs and initiatives that affect their quality of life. While the socioeconomic challenges Indigenous peoples face are diverse and complex, living in rural or remote communities continues to be one of the more significant barriers preventing them from getting involved in important discussions dedicated to overcoming these challenges and advancing their economic independence.
With that in mind, Forward Summit, an Indigenous-led conference designed to empower Indigenous economies, is providing every First Nations, Métis and Inuit community in Canada with one complimentary ticket to attend the conference virtually.
Broadly mirroring the aims of the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions Call to Action #92, Forward Summit aims to build respectful relationships, whereby the free, prior and informed consent of Indigenous peoples would be obtained before proceeding with economic development projects. The objective is simple: to create a community focused on action by providing a platform for all those from Indigenous and non-Indigenous business communities to gather and discuss the potential opportunities of business development and the challenges that often prevent such business development from happening.
“Reconciliation must inspire Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples to transform Canadian society so that our children and grandchildren can live together in dignity, peace and prosperity on these lands we now share.”
– Truth and Reconciliation Commission
The conference features two days of engaging panel and roundtable discussions derived through extensive consultation with members of the Forward Summit Indigenous Leadership Council, as well as exclusive networking opportunities with representation from over 40 communities and Canada’s major industries. Experienced, knowledgeable and industry-leading speakers representing a wide array of professions will lend their knowledge and perspectives to help guide these important discussions. Some of the topics to be addressed are:
- Growing Partnerships Through Sustainable Forest Management: A deep dive into the challenges, learnings and future opportunities in the sustainable forest management sector.
- Indigenous Tourism Recovery & Growth: Indigenous and non-Indigenous business, associations and governments working together to ensure a thriving Indigenous tourism sector.
- STEM, Tech & The Future of Work: Increasing future opportunities for Indigenous youth in STEM-focused careers.
- Energy Gridlock: How industry and Indigenous communities can work together to progress energy security.
- Attracting Capital: How the financial sector is evolving to recognize and address the needs of Indigenous economic growth.
- Major Projects in Canada – Opportunity through Adversity: Exploring some of the major projects that have taken place through one of the most challenging economic times.
- Future Economic Outlook 2022 and Beyond: A panel of nationally recognized Indigenous leaders share their knowledge and thoughts on what shape economic development could take as we move towards economic reconciliation.
“I have had the opportunity of being a guest speaker at many conferences, both in Canada and abroad. Forward Summit has all the ingredients of a top-quality gathering – from the caliber of the speakers and presenters to the structure of the contents, Forward Summit meets the highest standards,” says Forward Summit speaker Jorge Avilés, manager, Indigenous Partnerships & Development for ATCO Gas.
As an event founded in the belief that building relationships together drives economic reconciliation forward, ensuring the 634 First Nations, 8 Métis and 53 Inuit communities have equitable access to these meaningful panel and roundtable discussions was imperative in bringing the intended outcome of the event to life.
Forward Summit Resources:
- Discover the full agenda
- View the list of confirmed speakers
- Register your community for Forward Summit
- Join the discussion on social media using the hashtag #ForwardSummit22
About Forward Summit
Forward Summit is a professional, Indigenous-led two-day conference dedicated to advancing economic partnerships, discovering opportunities for change and supporting national relationships between Canada’s industry leaders and Indigenous Communities.
The inaugural event launched in 2019 and hosted hundreds of participants who understood the importance of building wealth and strong relationships with Indigenous communities across Canada through respectful dialogue. Over 500 participants, 400 organizations, 100 speakers and 40 Indigenous communities came together to share stories, build relationships and discover new opportunities for advancing Indigenous prosperity.
Forward Summit prides itself on being the meeting place that drives economic reconciliation forward through meaningful dialogue in an intimate setting. Through expert-led panel discussions, dynamic roundtables and exclusive networking opportunities, conference participants are provided with an unrivalled opportunity to gain knowledge and work together in collaboration and partnership towards a common goal: to progress economic reconciliation.
To register your Community:
Founder & CEO, Connect Partnership Group Ltd.
For media inquiries:
Event Marketing Manager, Connect Partnership Group Ltd.